Chess for Social Skills Summer Course
Chess for Social & Cognitive Skills is like no other summer course as it is extremely hands-on and teacher-centred.
Chess is a growing pastime in Irish primary schools with the 350 schools now joined the Ficheall network of teachers promoting chess in primary schools.
It is an excellent hobby for students (and teachers) for rainy days and promotes a variety of social and cognitive skills such as respect, forward planning, problem solving, decision making, accepting defeat, understanding resilience and developing a productive disposition to problem solving; all of which are addressed in the free beginner lessons available to participants.
Course is approved for 3 EPV Days.
Some testimonials from the 306 teachers who completed the course in 2022:
· “This is the first summer course that I've thoroughly enjoyed!”
· “I loved this course… I can now play Chess!!!”
· “A practical, well run and fun course that provides you with the knowledge and competence to introduce chess to any class setting.”
· “I came to the course as a total beginner! I loved how practical the course was. The week flew and we didn’t miss the time. The course was laid out excellently with short lessons, videos and mini games. I would highly recommend this course.”
· “The most enjoyable summer course I have ever done, I was sad when the week ended”
· “I was a complete nervous beginner at the start of the week, now I am confident enough to play a full game of chess and have fun in the process. Don't be afraid to try something new, I've learned a skill for life.”
· “You are winning with chess: social skills, patience, resilience, teamwork it has it all.”
Teachers will have the opportunity to learn how to play chess by playing chess mini-games against other novice teachers.
The course will teach all participants:
· how to play chess (from zero prior knowledge) and the best methods of teaching primary school children as young as first class the rules using a fun, games-based approach
· how to utilise chess as an additional resource in teaching social skills in the mainstream and special education classroom
· how to organise a school chess club, school chess team and in-school chess competitions
Please register below for this course
|Course Date||03-07-2023 9:30 am|
|Course End Date||07-07-2022 2:00 pm|
|Cut off date||03-07-2023 9:00 am|
|Individual Price||Fifty Euro|
Drumcondra Education Support Centre,
Please note it is essential to register on this website first in order to book your place on our courses.
When registering please use your personal email rather the school email.
Once registered check your email and look out for the email "Drumcondra Education Support Centre CPD Courses - Your details"
You can then login using your email address or username and password and book your course.
The ESCI (Education Support Centres Ireland website lists all available courses and events from Education Support Centres nationwide.