This is a 3 part online course and will be held on November 8th, 15th & 22nd Nov from 7.00 - 8.00pm.
The Autumn webinar ‘Exploring Numicon in the Classroom’ will have brand new content of Strand areas from the Mathematics curriculum.
There will also be many new activities and ideas for using Numicon in the classroom from Senior Infants to 6th Class.
The aim of Numicon is to make numbers real for children through them being able to see and touch them. It fits in with the Maths Mastery approach that's used in many schools, providing a concrete object to represent each number. It also has a multi-sensory approach that's known to help learning.
Teaching and learning with Numicon requires children to be active - to actively learn and to do the mathematics for themselves. Doing mathematics (i.e. thinking and communicating mathematically) with Numicon, explicitly involves illustrating in every activity through exploring relationships.
Specific Learning Objectives
Having participated in this presentation teachers will:
· Acquire a comprehensive working knowledge of how the unique materials that comprise Numicon can be used to explore and develop a broad range of key mathematical concepts with their pupils;
· Revise, refresh and utilise the key pedagogical approaches to the teaching of mathematics;
· Better devise, resource and deliver mathematics lessons that are hands-on and full of potential & possibility for discussion and conversation.
· Itemise the assessment techniques and opportunities inherent in a Numicon approach;
· Participate in corresponding activities that can be used to explore and develop each key idea with pupils;
· Build on key mathematical ideas and techniques in relation to: structures, methods and properties of operations;
· Understand the importance of visualisation, in terms of how visualisation will support pupil’s learning now and into the future, and the need to share this importance.
· Determine the practices of an effective teacher of mathematics;
· Identify and select Numicon units of work to teach selected strand units in mathematics;
· Outline and use activities that support the Numicon approach to teaching mathematics.
The link below will take you to Oxford University Press website where Numicon resources such as a set of Numicon shapes 1-10 can be purchased.
Participants can have them to hand and follow along if they wish but having a set is not a necessity (many just borrow a set from colleagues).
This course will be facilitated by Edmond Scannell
Edmond Scannell is a teacher at a special school in Limerick and has been teaching for 24 years. He has presented to a number of ETBs, schools and colleges on Literacy and Mathematics.
To book your place on this webinar, click Log in / Register below.
Zoom link and details will be emailed to all registrant in advance of the course.
PLEASE NOTE -Access to a basic (Free) Zoom account is required to attend this meeting / webinar. If you do not have an account yet, please register for one in advance of the meeting/webinar to avoid any delay joining the session.
|Course Date||08-11-2022 7:00 pm|
|Course End Date||22-11-2022 8:00 pm|
|Cut off date||08-11-2022 1:00 pm|