"Using Accelerated Reader to develop and strengthen a reading culture"
The presentation will outline how both Primary and Post Primary schools across Ireland are using Accelerated Reader and MyOn to develop and strengthen a culture of reading. It will also show how AR can be used to establish baseline scores for pupils and how improvements in comprehension and fluency are measured.
Accelerated Reader is generally aimed at pupils who already have the basics of reading from around 2nd class right up to Junior cert students. It compliments programmes such as Literacy Lift Off very well and really motivates pupils in primary school or those starting post-primary to engage fully in reading for pleasure.
The results of the baseline test relate closely to both the Drumcondra and Micra-T scores and all results are stored automatically on a spreadsheet with no need for correction. Many post-primary schools use the online reading test with first year students to establish their standard of reading as they enter the school and the test can be given a number of times during a school year to monitor progress.
The presenter, Pat Hanrahan, has used Accelerated Reader over many years in his own school and will outline how it is set up and its benefits. He will also answer any questions from Principals or teachers about the resource.
Areas covered will include -
· Outline of the Accelerated Reader Baseline reading test
· The set-up of reading books/library to suit the AR system
· Monitoring pupils reading and checking data on pupil progress
· How AR ensures that pupils are reading at the right level of challenge
· Extensive School Reports available to measure reading progress and identify areas of improvement. All pupil reading and comprehension data is available.
· How myON provides access to up to 5800 new digital books for every pupil in the school
· How myON connects with Accelerated Reader. The majority of the books have an AR quiz.
· The content of myON which includes a range of fiction, non-fiction and graphic novels. Many of the books are on cross curricular topics.
· It compliments programmes such as Literacy Lift Off very well and really motivates pupils in primary school or those starting post-primary to engage fully in reading for pleasure.
To book your place click on LOGIN/REGISTER button below
|Course Date||12-10-2021 4:30 pm|
|Course End Date||12-10-2021 5:30 pm|
|Registration Start Date||16-06-2021 9:00 am|
|Cut off date||12-10-2021 1:00 pm|